Thursday, March 13, 2014

Gout Tips

With my gout back, I wanted to do a post on some of my tips and tricks for surviving an attack.  This is not going to be scientific at all, I will not be going into food at all.  I really have no idea what works for the food, I have a semi gout diet but I am not sure it does any good.

My gout attacks have always occurred in my feet, I don't know if that is a blessing or a curse.  I can't walk but I can sort of sit in a chair.  I wouldn't waste your time if this wasn't the classic gout, as my tricks wouldn't be much help.

  1. Get yourself some crutches and or canes.  You are going to need the help getting around in the worst of the attacks. They are really a life saver.
  2. If you have a two story dwelling put one crutch on each floor, you always want one handy!
  3. A trick to getting up that has helped me. I get up by putting the unhurt foot on the ground and getting on to the bent knee of the leg with the gout food.  I find i can get up way easier this way.  I can just push up to my strong foot supporting me with much less pain
  4. Get yourself some gout shoes. I normally wear Dr. Martins but there is no way to get them on with the gout.  Vans and converse are both terrible to get on.  But I have a pair of Brooks running shoes that are easy to get on and wear.  I suggest something that opens up wide and has a mesh exterior.
  5. Stomach sleepers may want to sleep lower in the bed.  I have found Moving down so that I hang my foot off the bed helps.  My ankle or shin is on the bed and the rest hang over.  Nothing touches or hurts my gout this way.  You just need to put the covers a little lower so your feet are nice and warm.
  6. Pepsi throwback / Dr. Pepper Heritage are handy for soda fiends like me because they do not contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.
  7. Clean houses are best for gout.  If you have a messy place with stuff to kick or trip on you are in trouble with gout.  I kicked a bone my dog had left around, oh my God i was dying.


No comments: