Friday, August 10, 2012

De Profundis: The fourth letter

My Fellow Gentlemen

    I was dismayed at the spectral response my previous missive invoked.  Perhaps you were cast into wonder by my tale of phantasmagoria.  I assure all within is true.  I consult with you my fellow scribblers for further insights into these happenings or perhaps a like minded anecdote to assure myself sane.  I will further endeavor if only to chronicle my own descent.

    My investigations into the night time haunting of the greensward located southerly of my estate proved fruitful today.  Impatient I journeyed into the park with the safety of broad daylight.  The denizens of the sporting club paid me little mind, gentry I was beneath their consideration.

    The establishment was neatly manicured and wholly sincere from the strolling paths that allowed access to the golfing pitches.  It was not until I veered from the narrow way of the path that I found what is sought.

    After some work I found myself within a hallow created by life and fell trees.  It was here I first encountered a sinister turn of humor.  The air itself oppressive I did not intend to linger but I could apprehend the location had been used on several occasions.  The ground well worn and glass and wax remains were cast off for the undergrowth.  It was amongst this refuse I spied my first clue though it was in truth little more than a torn fragment of a tome.  The text itself was banal and uninformative but the fragment did hold a title.  The book in question was a translation of the Lesser Key of Solomon by a minor British scholar S.L.M. Mathers. 

    My insight into the maters within the book are stunted at best.  I believe it points toward a theosophical society but even this I am unsure.  The noted professor of eastern mysticism Cornelious R. Woest has been included in my series of missives perhaps he could illuminate us.



My many thanks for your indulgence
J.L. Reichl

No comments: