Monday, January 30, 2012

RPG thoughts on rolls skills and enemies

What I am trying to do with skills is create a system that requires a linear increase on core skills.  Why?  Well i know this is unrealistic as most people don't notice things with a linear increase making this weird.  What I am trying to do is have those unimportant non dramatic moments just disappear over time.  Having automatic successes makes it so the GM can just assume these little moments work out.

I would rather not have randomness defeat my players at unimportant moments of play but rather have that stuff not even interrupt flow.  I want my dice to convey tension every time I roll them.  Be it potential to do something great or something that screws the party.

Over time I want lackeys and goons to not matter to the players.  I want my bosses and sub bosses to always be a threat.  Here you get into something lame where only a few of the enemies really threaten the party,this is not what I want either.

I would like lackeys defending a castle to be easily dealt with but If the game really deals with those people in the castle then I want to have all the forces in the castle be meaningful.  I am not sure if this would be level based or defense vs combat attack successes.

No comments: