Wednesday, October 05, 2011

From Books and Dreams

I recently came across a record by a group called Message.  I guess they are some sort of Krautrock group but the sound has hints of doom metal.  That all would be well and good if this record was not recorded in 1973.  I am really shocked to hear what they were tapping into so early on.

The record itself is called From Books and Dreams.  The cover looks like it may have been taken from Weird or Creepy magazine.  So sort of metal already I would say.

For the time the music is prog or Kraut prog, but because they are dealing with darker themes it starts hitting on metal.  There are two trackes called Dreams and Nightmares, one with the sub titles dreams and the other; yes you guessed it.  Its this nightmares trac that really hits on metal.  I am getting this stuff through Youtube for now.  I can't seem to find the CD yet. 

I think its worth your time, especially if you are interested in early metal.  Image is stolen from the Fantasy blog, which also has a review here.

No comments: